Translate

Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Best Life



Just as most desire to have the best life, that was my desire as well. I went through life searching for what I thought was the best of everything. I went after the best clothes, cars, places to stay, best food, best guys, best times, whatever I thought was considered “the best“. But even after having all those things I still felt like something was missing. Somehow or way I would get disappointed or bored with what I had so I would go after something new to fill that void. I was on a search for something I needed but didn’t know what it was.

This desire to go after what I thought was the "best life" started at the age of thirteen. I started going to clubs using my older siblings I.D and getting tattoos. From the ages of fourteen to twenty-one I was clubbing on a regular, drinking, and whatever else came to mind to obtain this “best life”. In high school I would miss almost every Monday due to partying hard over the weekend and it was truly by the grace of God that I passed with flying colors. I really started growing up too fast ,doing way too much too soon all to experience this “greatest life.”

In a way my life reminded me of the prodigal son (Luke 15-11:32). I grew up in church, my parents are pastors, I came from a lineage of pastors and still I decided to go the other way. I was given everything I needed but I still felt to leave the church and do things my way. I felt church was boring and there had to be a better life out there. The problem was, I never took the time out to build a relationship with God because all I had ever experienced was church growing up and I thought it was time to try something new. But through a lot of disappointments, scars, hurts, and much foolishness, God still kept his hand on me and welcomed me back with open arms. I begin to get back into church and gave my life fully to God. After I gave my life to God I begin to experience the greatest love anyone could ever imagine. I begin to feel more fulfilled and complete than I’ve ever felt. Then I realized, God was what I was longing for throughout the years, a relationship with Him. I was so busy doing my own thing and trying to make happiness happen that I didn’t realize that eternal happiness was staring me in the face the whole time.

I now realize that the “Best Life” is a life in God. A life that puts God before anything or anyone. God is the ultimate life giver and gives it more abundantly(John 10:10). No man or material thing can compare to God, I wouldn’t exchange God for anything now. God is the best and the best things comes from God. I had to realize that as I go down the path God’s paved for me I’ll continue to receive the best of everything. God’s word says his plans are to prosper us and give us a future (Jeremiah 29:11). God wants to give us the best life but we have to go through Him to obtain it. We have to have a mindset that says, I can do ok by myself but I can do my best with God.

If you’re questioning how to obtain “The Best Life” start off by given your life to Christ and letting him be your Lord and personal Savior.(Romans 10:9). Once you do that, find a word church home, one that can teach you the word of God. You have to understand that once you allow God to be the head of your life he’ll always steer you in the right direction. You don’t ever have to have another empty day when you recognize, with God, your best days start now and are ahead of you. Stay in the race. -Eri @EriHolmes

**To leave comments you must have a g-mail account. Thanks for your support and I pray you all are blessed by these post. If you need to chat you can reach me at, ms.eriholmes@gmail.com****

4 comments:

  1. Eri I thank God for my life I'm him, I to was brought up in a Christian home, I was bored and decided to go out and do my thing, there's a saying experience is the best teacher, well there's some things I went through out there that I wish I never experienced, but at least I found out God is a forgiving God, and I love serving him and God really care about us. Thanks again J Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose for your comments! Yes, experience is a good teacher, it tells the truth and as you said thanks to God that he's a forgiven God.! Glory.

      Delete
  2. Erica, thank you for sharing your story! I too can relate as I traveled that same foolish path. In my church we are studying the book of Ecclesiastes. Chapter 2 highlights how Solomon tried everything pleasurable and found that all of it was meaningless apart from God. God created pleasure and we as Christians have the most to celebrate since we are promised eternal life. So now I don't have to search for the best because I have it in Christ! I am very grateful that we serve a merciful and forgiving God that is always with us and eager to welcome us back when we repent and turn to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome and thank you for sharing your comment. Life is so much more enjoyable when it's a God lead life!! God Bless you and thanks for your support :)

      Delete